Monday 20 August 2012

OUAT Artists Interview Reetta Linjama


What is your story about?

A crooked rich guy and an arrogant monster, both getting their comeuppance from a hero they underestimate. It's a folk tale peppered with slapstick violence and a matter-of-fact take on so called monsters.

Where did you get your ideas and inspiration for your story?

"The Evil Boyar's Farmhand" is adapted from a Mari-El folk tale. Technically the Mari-El live in Russia, but their language is one of the Fenno-Ugric languages, a close relative of my native Finnish. As the starting point for the visuals I used Finnish scenery, old traditional Finnish clothing etc. I've made a few changes to the plot and characters, both for the story flow's sake and so I could draw stuff that I enjoy -- like snow. I'm also quite influenced by Eurocomics and classic gag cartoons.

What made you decide to do a story for Gurukitty Studios anthology project?

Mostly that the theme of the anthology meant I could adapt a tale rather than write a comic from scratch. I'm slowly venturing into writing my own comics, but I feel better about a gentle start. And, well, I know Guru&Kitty in real life, and I knew they're not just talk ;)

What other comics have you done? Tell us about them.

I'd been making one-page comics for my own amusement before, but my comics-making hobby really took off after joining Cloudscape Comics, when I started collaborating with writers. I'm interested in drawing all kinds of comics, but my own writing skills lean towards humour and cute gags right now, like my first self-scripted comic "Revenge of The Ghost Spider" in the 2011 Gurukitty anthology "Ghost Tales" shows.

Where else can people find your work? Are you included in any other publications or a website?
I have a website, including links to most of my profiles around social media. So far I've been in the Cloudscape anthologies "21 Journeys" and "Giants of Main Street", and Gurukitty's "Ghost Tales"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...