Wednesday 15 August 2012

OUAT Artist Interview - Bevan Thomas



What is your story about?
“The Happy Prince,” illustrated by the talented Ksenia Kozhevnikova, is about a swallow flying south who befriends a golden bejewelled statue of a prince. The swallow is so filled with love for the Prince and the Prince with love for his own city that they offer up everything of themselves, destroying themselves for love. In the end, an angel takes their souls up to Heaven so that they can be rewarded for their selflessness.

Where did you get your ideas and inspiration for your story?
It’s an adaptation of Oscar Wilde’s fairy tale of the same name. Oscar Wilde wrote numerous tragic tales, such as “The Angry Giant” and “The Star Child,” in which the protagonists martyr themselves for compassion and love. They’re very sad and mournful, but also very powerful and beautiful. I wanted to adapt one and “The Happy Prince” seemed the best fit for the anthology.

What made you decide to do a story for Gurukitty Studios anthology project?
I’m always interested in getting involved with local graphic novel anthologies and I really enjoyed contributing to Gurukitty Studios’ first book, “Ghost Tales.”

About the artist

What other comics have you done? Tell us about them.
I wrote “Ghosts of the Capital,” with art by Jayleen Weaver and Donut, for Gurukitty’s “Ghost Tales,” an exploration of various ghost stories and hauntings within the city of Victoria.

I’m also a frequent contributor to Cloudscape Comics’ various anthologies. For “21 Journeys,” I wrote “Flyaway,” featuring art by Reetta Linjama, which juxtaposed a woman escaping a toxic lifestyle with a swallow flying south for the winter. Then for “Giants of Main Street,” I created “Fallen Star” with Ksenia Koshevnikova, the story of “Theseus and the Minotaur” from the Minotaur’s point of view, and “My City” with Oliver McTavish-Wisden, about a man who keeps a city in a bottle. For Cloudscape’s next anthology, “Waterlogged,” I intend to create an autobiographical story about my relationship with my late maternal grandfather and also a story about a woman’s fascination with a powerful female pirate.

Oh, and I’m spearheading “All-Canadian Comics,” an anthology of Canadian superhero stories inspired by 40s Canadian comics. That’s a big personal project for me. I’m the editor and wrote three of the anthology’s stories. Basically, I like to keep busy. 

Where else can people find your work? Are you included in any other publications or a website?
A lot of my work is linked to off my portfolio at http://www.bevanthomas.ca. That’s also the location of my blog, where I post news about my professional and creative work, as well as various articles about things I find interesting. A lot of my work can also be read at http://www.cloudscapecomics.
com, the website for Cloudscape, the comics society I’m prominently involved with.
_______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...