Saturday 18 August 2012

OUAT Artists Interview Jeri Weaver



What is your story about?

My story is about a winged lion who keeps a lair of bones guarded by two white ravens.
Every time he goes on a hunt, he brings the bones back to his collection.

Where did you get your ideas and inspiration for your story?

It is actually based on an African folk tale called "How the Lion Lost his Wings". I
chose it because it kind of reminded me of the man eating lions of Tsavo who were said
to keep a lair of bones from their prey.
I am drawn to African legends in general, they are always creative and get right to the
point.

What made you decide to do a story for Gurukitty Studios anthology project?

Well, I am Gurukitty studios, so it would be kind of silly if I didn't put a story into my
own anthology project. Our reason for doing anthologies is to help give fellow comic
artists a chance to get their work published. We remember a time when publishing
seemed like an impossible task and an unacheivable goal and we want people to know
that if there is a will, there is a way.
Our fairy/folk tale theme was inspired by our love of history and a book we had
growing up. It was an amazingly illustrated folk tale book, all traditionally done of
course. It is unfortunately out of print now, but we still have our original copy.


What other comics have you done?Tell us about them.

Well, I created the Daqueran series we have posted online, started in 2007.
I've also created a few other short comics for other anthologies, "Rules for
Ghosts" is in our last anthology, Ghost Tales. A short called "Spirit Bear" will be
in another anthology by ink'd well comics.
I'm currently working on a story for Cloudscape Comics for the "All Canadian
Superhero" anthology.
I also created a 4 page teaser for a graphic novel I am working on called "The
Gourd Wife". The characters and everything have changed dramatically, but the
graphic novel is still a go and in the scripting stage.

Where else can people find your work? Are you included in any other
publications or a website?
Well, most everything can be found on my website http://gurukitty.com
I've been published in the March 2009 Estonian "For Him Magazine" (random and odd, I know).
The Ink'd well Comics "Fearsome Fables" Anthology that will be released at Halcon 2012
All the GK anthologies of course.
I've also done some illustration work, most recently for "A World of Stories" for the Rotary Club.
I also do guest pages all over the place wherever and whenever I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...